photo by Lotus at Sarcastic Mom

Dear God,

For four years we raised our voices in harmony, men and women of faith, and unbelievers alike (even with their dreary myths about dinosaurs and evolution), all in praise of the unity of man!

For four years, bloggers powerful and insignificant, those blessed with voices like angels and those who sound like Kermit the Frog, the confident and the theologically-confused, all came together to promote peace and harmony and love.  But when we look around our world, even after all our hard work, all we see is fighting and killing.

Are you not pleased with our songs and our delightful photos of our decorated trees, bright menorahs, and our cats wearing Santa hats?  Has our mission been a failure?  Are you telling us that our voices are not LOUD ENOUGH for you, that you are like the LA Lakers at the Staples Center, requiring us to stamp our feet and clap our hands, shouting, “We will, we will ROCK YOU!” just to get your attention?

I don’t know if I can promise you all that, oh, Creator of the Universe.  Bloggers are a tempestuous and a stiff-necked people.  But I do know we will be back for a Fifth time, in this familiar place,  bringing joy to others — and hopefully YOU — with our songs and photos and poetry, proving once and for all that we can be nice to each other, for at least one week out of the year!

And for 2010, we have a special treat.   Besides celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, we will be adding The Islamic New Year of Al-Hijira to the mix. (Arabic: رأس السنة الهجرية‎ Ras as-Sana al-Hijreya).  The Fifth annual concert will be renamed –  The 2010 Blogger Christmalhijrahanukwanzaakah Online Holiday Concert.

Imagine, all three of your major Monotheistic Religions, all with roots in the dusty Middle East, all singing each others’ songs!  You should be kvelling, God!

This year’s concert will be on Wednesday, December 15, 2010, right here on this space.   I realize that this is date is too early for Christmas and little late for the Jewish and Muslim holidays, but Hanukkah and Al-Hijira are early this year (starting the first week of December), so all three religions will need to compromise.  It will be good practice for the real world.

See you there,  God!   Arrive early for a good seat.   There are no favorites online.

Bloggers FAQ:

You make an audio file or a video file of you performing a holiday song.  If you don’t know how to do that, ask me.

You must be performing in the audio or video.  Don’t cheat and just have your cute kids doing all the work.  They can perform back-up.

You can sing, play an instrument, recite poetry, or even dance the Nutcracker.  We even once had someone playing a Christmas Carole on her iPhone.

You can post it on your blog and send me the link, or you can send me the file, and I will publish it on my blog.  If you don’t want to sing a Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Islamic New Year song, feel free to send me a holiday photo of your tree, menorah, or plain ol’ winter solstice if you are a heathen blogger.

Please sign up in the comments.   This is the official sign-up sheet.  You don’t have to do it today, but add your name as soon as possible.  This way we we know who is performing what, so we can avoid having ten versions of “Frosty the Snowman.”

Don’t be afraid that you can’t sing.  Those are the favorite songs of each concert, because we like to laugh at you.

Try to get me all the files by December 13, 2010, two days before the concert!

You can check out what has been done in the past.

2006

2007

2008

2009

Come join the celebration in this tradition that is already as well known as Burl Ives —  the longest-running holiday concert online — The 2010 Blogger Christmalhijrahanukwanzaakah Online Holiday Concert!

And remember to tell your friends.

This entry was posted in Blogging and the Internet and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

101 Responses to Announcing the Fifth Annual Blogger Christmahanukwanzaakah Online Holiday Concert!

1. buzzgirl says:

Wow. I can’t believe it’s been five years!!

2. I’ll be there, with bells on :)
    Piper of Love posted Hanging Freshness

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention Announcing the Fifth Annual Blogger Christmahanukwanzaakah Online Holiday Concert! | Citizen of the Month -- Topsy.com

4. Cecily says:

I’m in! I’ve always wanted to be in. :)

5. heather says:

Wouldn’t be caught dead singing—even for you Neil! I’m so in for photos though!

6. Cindy Allen says:

I’m in. O Holy Night. K?

7. I’m in, but I can’t think of a song right now, because Lynyrd Skynyrd is on the radio behind me.
    unmitigated me (m.a.w.) posted Second Iteration

8. tiff says:

I’m in again, plus I hope to rope in a real musician to help out. Being that he’s married to me, how can he say no?

Looking forward to it, and thanks for doing it again.

9. laurenne says:

I LOVE this idea. How fun. I can’t sing, but I will happily do a Christmas rap. Yes! I’ll get you the song soon…. thanks!
    laurenne posted 3six5 is a creative way to write 365

10. Momo Fali says:

1. I’m in!

2. I can NOT believe you just called Tanis, Kermit the Frog.

11. lettergirl says:

I’m in. In the Bleak Midwinter, I think.
    lettergirl posted Commentary

12. I’m in. I’ll think of something. Maybe I’ll skate.

13. OK, I think I’m in. I’m thinking my childhood Hanukah song, Rock of Ages. Surely you know it.
    Elisa Camahort Page posted The Week in Pie-a-Day- What Ive Learned

14. Otir says:

Working on a video instead of a simple audio file. It will probably be “In my window”, with the complete round: http://vimeo.com/8231605.
    Otir posted Ready to go to the heart again

15. Going to wrangle my husband into doing “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” with me. And photos! Of course. :)

16. merrymishaps says:

Of course I’ll be back! Hopefully less last-minute than usual, but I’m not good at planning :)
    merrymishaps posted more thoughts on the marathon

17. Jenipurr says:

I’m in again – last year was funny.

I’m going to give The Wexford Carol a try. Possibly even with bagpipe accompaniment, if I can get my dad to play along.
    Jenipurr posted Best laid plans

18. I’m in. Third times the charm, right? Snicker.
    Redneck Mommy posted I Remember

19. jess says:

i’m in and not looking so tired OR in pajamas this year!
    jess posted Dan Mangan – Road Regrets

20. Zoeyjane says:

In. But we’ll see if I actually make it in front of the camera, in addition to supplying vocals.
    Zoeyjane posted Days – Recouping

21. Bon says:

the offspring – and possibly i – are in.
    Bon posted witness

22. Noel says:

This year I have a blog AND a new, original holiday song.

23. I’m in. God help you all.

K.
    Karen from Chookooloonks posted scenes from the weekend

24. Oh twist my arm. It’s time I did something Jewish and Bloggish. I, and the very charming backs of my kids’ heads, will be there with Hanukkah bells on.
    Haley-O (Cheaty) posted How to Workout with Kids or Not!

25. I’ll be there with bells on… (not sure which song we’re singing yet)

26. Sue Fisher says:

Oh hell, why not? Only b/c I adore you Neil. Not sure what I’ll sing yet but I’ll let you know as soon as I figure it out.

27. Angella says:

I’m in! I’m not promising a video, but I can do a photo.
    Angella posted What I Know For Sure

28. Mel says:

I’m in, though I’m struggling to come up with a Chanukkah song. If this were for Purim, I’d be able to whip 50 songs out of my back pocket. But I’m woefully ignorant with Chanukkah. Maybe Sevivon? Or Maoz Tzur? Seriously, I can’t come up with another Chanukkah song. Maybe I should do a general Jew-y song :-)

29. Miss Grace says:

This is the year I don’t forget. I’m in.
    Miss Grace posted Without Comment AKA THE BEST VIDEOS IN THE HISTORY OF MAN

30. kristy says:

I totally want to do this again! I tried to get a recording of my a cappella group last year, and it didn’t happen, but I’m feeling it this year…

And congrats and thanks to you for doing this for the FIFTH straight year! It’s one of my favoritest holiday traditions. :)
    kristy posted Sugar- Sugar

31. Kristen says:

How did I miss this last year? This is 27 kinds of awesome. I’m so in.
    Kristen posted are you smarter than a kindergartner

32. sizzle says:

Of course I am in. How could I stand you up? Though don’t ask me to pronounce the new name of this concert because I could barely pronounce it before!

I will see what Mr. Darcy and I can cook up.

33. Jenn says:

Ohhhhhh! NOW I see! OH MY! How about Christmas burlesque? Boobies with Christmas elf hat pasties.

34. thordora says:

I’m in…and this atheist will do a painful version of o holy night. :D

35. Kristen says:

PS I will sing “I’ll Be Home For Christmas”. It has a special meaning for us this year . . .
    Kristen posted are you smarter than a kindergartner

36. sesame ellis says:

Yes please. Photo for sure, song maybe next year.

37. Heather says:

Fine. I’ll do it. But only because you asked so nice.

I was totally going to sing “Percy, the Puny Poinsettia”…but might go with something more tame. You know, because I’m so…tame. Or something. Or maybe just boring. Either way. ;)
    Heather posted Extreme Makeover- Home Edition

38. I’m in! Even though my singing talent is… You know how Cameron Diaz sings karaoke in My Best Friend’s Wedding? Well, let’s just say I’m not that good. And I’ll sing my Christmas song in Finnish. If I won’t qualify to attend, I understand :)
    Katja Presnal posted Modern Advent Calendars for Everyone

39. scott says:

What about a New Year’s song? Would that qualify? I hope so, because I saw this and thought, “What the hell” and I sat in my car at lunch and used my iPhone “Voice Memos” feature to record myself singing a song that I think of as a holidays song, but it’s a New Year’s song, so maybe it doesn’t qualify.

Hello, Neil.
    scott posted The Dance

40. subWOW says:

I will only have one month to lose weight so as to send in a picture of myself that does not make me have a crisis. I figure you need a representative for the Heathen group…
    subWOW posted This is what hope looks like

41. Lauren says:

Yes! I want in! Eloise and I will do something, a dance? a song perhaps? Something British.
    Lauren posted Confessions of a Mother of a Bum-Shuffler

42. ashbloem says:

I’m in!

43. Juli says:

OK! Will try to wow you with sounds of summer in the South Pacific. Possibly will do “Pukeko in a Ponga Tree” (aka the 12 days of Xmas, but will not do all 12 verses). Or maybe just audio of tuis and a photo of the pohutukawa.

44. Jack says:

And for the fifth consecutive year I will “lurk” my way through it. Five years already, damn.
    Jack posted What Is The Most Challenging Aspect of Blogging