Fans Shocked at Bugs Bunny Gay Revelation

NEW YORK (AP) — Only a week after the announcement that the character in the Harry Potter series is gay, the fictional world is again shocked with the revelation by Steven Blanc, son of voice artist Mel Blanc, that the perennial prankster “Bugs” Bunny of Looney Tunes cartoons is also gay. This announcement, while unexpected, give new and clearer meaning to many of the on-screen exchanges between the smart-aleck “wacky wabbit” and his put-upon nemesis, Elmer Fudd.

Bugs Bunny was in love with his male rival, Steven Blanc says.

The author of “Bugs and Elmer: A Forbidden Love,” stunned fans at the Academy of Motion Pictures annual Warner Brothers Looney Tunes Night, when he answered one young reader’s question about Bugs by saying that he was gay and had been in love with Elmer Fudd for years.

‘”You have to remember that this was Hollywood of the Golden Age, even before Rock Hudson. The studio just wouldn’t allow it. Instead, Bugs and Elmer expressed their love for each using homosexual codes of the day, such as Elmer pointing a gun at Bugs, and Bugs responding with a squirt of seltzer in his face. Those in the closeted gay community clearly knew that Bugs famous “What’s Up, Doc?” was the password to get entry into the notorious Hammer Club on the Sunset Strip.”

The news of Bugs Bunny’s homosexuality brought gasps, then applause at the Academy, and set off thousands of e-mails on Warner Brothers cartoon Web sites around the world. Some were dismayed, others indifferent, but most were supportive.

” ‘BUGS BUNNY IS GAY’ is quite a headline to stumble upon on a Friday evening, and it’s certainly not what I expected,” added Looney Tunes fan Charlie Johnson, of Trenton, New Jersey. “(But) a gay character in the most popular cartoon in the world is a big step for gay rights.”

Note, November 2010:  This is not true.  It is a joke.  This was NOT approved by Warner Brothers.   And Mel’s son’s real name is Noel.  And just so you know — Bugs Bunny is probably my biggest literary influence.

This entry was posted in Literary and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Fans Shocked at Bugs Bunny Gay Revelation

1. OMSH says:

My eyes! They rolled so hard they fell right outta mah face!

2. Rach says:

Is that why he shakes his cute little white furry ass in all the cartoons?

3. All of this time I’ve wondered… finally an answer. Thank you :0)

4. Jen says:

Ok, so who’s next? Hello Kitty?

5. MammaLoves says:

And here I thought the Pope was going to be outted first.

6. Michelle says:

I am truly shocked. I thought that “Tinky Winky” of Teletubbies fame, and “The Ambiguously Gay Duo” on SNL were the only charachters who were out. Bugs Bunny, you say….I had no idea. I wonder who “Hello Kitty” would pair up with…

7. Nance says:

This is SO not news. How many times was Bugs in drag? Duh.

8. ExpatJane says:

LMAO! That’s absolutely classic!

I knew there was something uncomfortably intimate about that relationship between Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny! I knew it!

Thanks for letting us know the truth is out ;)

9. Tuck says:

…and Daffy Duck?…gay or not gay? Wacky Rabbit, Daffy Duck?….Hmm. And poor Porky Pig…poor guy…nobody wants the fat one.

10. Miss Syl says:

I remember years ago going to a “Was Bugs Gay?” midnight film fest, featuring all the cartoons where he donned drag, kissed male characters, etc.

Now all that’s left is to finally out Bert and Ernie once and for all.

11. Jennifer says:

I love it!! Do you know how many people will take this as the gospel truth and spread it??? Fabulous!!!

12. Jennifer says:

And you know Bert and Ernie were more than just roommates on Sesame Street…

13. i’m shocked!!! i’m with tuck, i always assumed it was daffy duck.

14. No big shock here. Bugs was always dressing in drag and kissing Elmer.

And what about the whole hairdresser thing with that shaggy monster? Sure, he used dynamite to set the curls, but otherwise he seemed a little to knowledgeable about it.

15. Rhea says:

All of the best cartoon characters are gay.

16. churlita says:

Jen,

Everyone knows that Hello Kitty is bi.

You are so damn good that I actually looked this up to read more on the topic. Then I remembered that Mel Blanc’s only son’s name was Noel! On the other hand, you are dead on–Bugs Bunny was SO gay. I suspect Popeye, too, and his lesbian beard, Olive Oyl. I can see her having a secret affair with bisexual Betty Boop.

18. Ellen Bloom says:

Think back. Porky Pig NEVER wears pants! Hmmmm?

19. Timothy Long says:

I guess I’m the only one who finds this disturbing.

20. Jack says:

Bugs and Porky had a torrid love affair.

21. lemon says:

So, is this like, fictional characters come out month?

22. Kamo says:

It’s good to see how much support people are giving our gay rabbit hero. While Elmer might have been the target of Bugs’ onscreen smooches, he actually lived with Daffy in the same rabbit hole durring the Friz Freleng years. It was the early sixties after all and America was begining to show more of it’s true colors.

23. ron says:

you people have to start thinking about what these people want . its called your kids .you seem to think it means nothing.get your heads out of the sand

24. Kamo says:

No, we don’t want your kids. You can keep them hidden under your protective wing, Ron On. The fact is, and from reading many biographies and autobiographies about and from the animators that made these little gems, the cartoons were for adults as well as kids. And further, is it your opinion that adults can’t have a little humor in their lives? Or should we continue to hide in the sand until your homophobic crusade burns itself out?

25. ron says:

Its called armagedon my friend ,and if you call homosexuality humor thats pretty sad, especially, when its with our children.

26. Nobby says:

I hear Flipper flipped too

27. Kamo says:

It’s a-r-m-a-g-e-d-d-o-n. If you’re so affraid, you should learn to spell it correctly at least. Sorry for the flame war, folks. Ron clearly missed the humor train and keeps staring at his broken watch thinking it’s still 1500 a.d. “Burn the heretics! Kill the gay wabbit!”

• oz says:

Hey fudge packer, why is it so hard for you accept that fact that not everyone is ok with you being a pervert. also since when is it ok for gay people to express the sexuality in a cartoon that kids watch when its clearly not ok for anyone else. with that said who gives a damn if bugs bunny is gay or not does that make you right and makes Ron wrong who is only worried about his kids. and please dont make any smart remarks to my comment because I will not read them. and by the way gay rights is a joke…people have been gay for thousands of years. you didnt invent hot water or anything…

28. Pingback: Was Bugs Bunny gay? | how to, how do, what is

29. Name's Not george says:

Frankly this doesn’t surprise me at all…

30. JB says:

u all are losers because bugs bunny is not gay

31. Fox says:

If anyone freaks out over a popular fictional character being gay, then pity for them. Anyway, this isn’t news for me at all. However, there are times he did fall for a chick (though frequently they have been decoys), so the question of whether he’s total gay or bisexual is still in the hat.

Honestly, you cannot determine the personality of a cartoon character of a non-continuous flow of shorts having little to no relation to each other. But if he’s gay, so what? He’s still Bugs Bunny.

32. DrNIkkk says:

wait, steven blanc is not Mel blanc’s son
    he only had one and his name is Noel

33. Oh Prunella! Who DIDN’T know Bugs was gay?

34. Jamaal says:

This is sooooo disturbing…I’ll never look at Bugs Bunny the same way again…
    Something just doesnt seem right about making cartoon characters gay. If kids are exposed to this, then chances are they’ll go out and think its perfectly okay to have same sex relations.
    I’m sorry, but this is just weird.

35. Chuks says:

this is so sick. i am going to have nightmares tonight. what is the world comming 2 when even cartoonists cannot keep their sexuality to themselves.

36. Pingback: El Rey De Los Homosexuales « P O S T F U T U R I S M

37. foolery says:

And now we know how “The War of the Worlds” was able to get a toe-hold, wink wink. Nice job, Neil — the best satire roots out the fear-mongerers. :)

38. Barry E says:

The comments about how this will make it seem ok for kids to go try out gay sex are about the most retarded thing I’ve ever read. Look, Einstein, no one *chooses* to be gay, anymore than anyone chooses to be straight, or left-handed, or any of a number of other traits. One is gay, or one isn’t. That’s all there is to it.

• dicksurfer says:

i chose to be gay after a long run of being straight and then i chose to not be attracted to anything

39. Pingback: Tweets that mention Fans Shocked at Bugs Bunny Gay Revelation | Citizen of the Month -- Topsy.com

40. Aeolus says:

While I’d be all for Bugs being gay, because that would be SUCH a slap in the face for those who are so virtuous in their homophobia, I have to wonder how many people seriously didn’t read the very last paragraph in this article…

41. Baracudaboy says:

Uuuuh, but wasn’t it obvious?

Ughh, American, the land of aloof closedminded sexphobics.

42. Baracudaboy says:

I mean, the furry fandom has known for ages, its halarious to think of all the childhoods this is going to ruin for right wingers who have now grown up to hate gay people.
    Ahaa, welcome to the real world fellas, gay people exsist in real life and fiction, they aren’t going to be supressed, they are only going to work and become stronger so one day they can take their rightful place next to every other hard working and loving American citizen of this less the savory country of ours.

43. Amy says:

Ha, Bugs is most certainly not gay.

I’m going to marry him.

44. tommy says:

this is my favorite cartoon characters.
    very funny because of ignorance.

45. Brucey says:

I watched Bugs every week for years as a kid. No wonder I’m Gay!!

46. Observer says:

The face on the man in the photo in the banner at the top of this page is gay. And that is NOT a joke and it IS approved by Warner Brothers. Yeesh.

• Observer says:

Crap, I wish there was a way to delete my comment. Sorry, that was stupid of me. I’m depressed and in a cruel mood. Forgive me.

47. Even when I was a kid, seeing Bugs crossdress and try to seduce Elmer Fudd was enough for even me to know which way he leaned!

48. Merri says:

If Bugs is gay how did he produce all those babies he had with the the last of the Mohicans in the cartoon titled : A Feather in his Hare. Was the very male looking indian really a very homely women or is Bugs really a doe.

49. Before you break something important, listen. Montana was a very good quarterback. I’ll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he’s not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn’t have won a couple of titles with that group? Even after connecting with Dwight Clark on “The Catch”, it took a game-saving tackle by Eric Wright to prevent the Cowboys from going to the Super Bowl. Oh, and about the whole “might not be the best QB in 49ers history” … Steve Young has a better completion percentage, passer rating, 3,500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns.

50. Nate Brady says:

If you people would read the whole article for once, you would see that Bugs Bunny is not gay. Don’t believe anything you read online. It’s all lies, these days.