Nothing To Say

Have you noticed how infrequently I have been blogging? I’m afraid the competition in the blogosphere market is getting to me.   There are so many other others out there with something to say — celebrities, comedians, professional authors, journalists, individuals who have overcome incredible obstacles — that I just don’t think my voice matters anymore.   My life is not that interesting.  Some of have lives worthy of memoirs.   The rest of us live small, forgettable existences.

Luckily, I have friends who have lives worth caring about, like my long-time friends, Noel and Joy, who recently had a beautiful baby girl in New York.  I was lucky to visit them at their Upper West Side apartment a few days before my flight to Los Angeles.  Their baby was only two weeks old, so small, but so cute.  As I admired their new member of the family, the remaining piece of her umbilical cord few off.  I found this disturbing since I assumed the doctors already finished the job at the hospital. After all, my health insurance rates are so high, I assume the money pays for something.  Leaving part of the umbilical cord on is something you might expect in Canada, but not in the good ol USA!

Joy explained that this was quite normal.  This did little to calm my nerves. I decided to take a cab to my next destination, an Italian restaurant in Harlem, to meet friends for dinner. I bought a bottle of wine for the occasion.

When the cab reached the restaurant, the fare on the meter was seven dollars. I gave the cabbie a ten dollar bill.  He was under the wrongful assumption that I was giving him a three dollar tip.   I explained that I wanted change, and he started cursing at me in Arabic. The combo of the earlier umbilical cord and the angry cabbie was too much for me to deal with in one afternoon.  I rushed out, leaving my bottle of wine inside the cab as it sped off.

At dinner, I joked with the others about the lost bottle of wine, but we toasted each other nonetheless with a new bottle.   At the end of a delicious meal, the waiter came with the check.  I reached in my back pocket, and the wallet was not there.  I didn’t only leave the bottle of wine in the cab.  I also left my wallet.

Talk about a pain in the ass.  I didn’t care about the money; there was only $50 inside.  But what about the credit cards and my driver’s license?  My library cards?!

My mother reminded me that I was flying to Los Angeles in three days.  Could I fly without identification?  Luckily, I remembered that I brought my passport to Queens, just in case I met a Parisian model in my local Flushing McDonald’s, and she wanted to bring me to France to meet her parents.

A week after I returned to Los Angeles, I received a phone call from some woman in Manhattan named “Katie.” She found my wallet in the back of a cab, and since she worked in TV news, she asked her research department to track me down in California and return it to me.

The envelope arrived with no return address.  I wondered, just like you — was this Katie Couric?  All my cards were in the wallet, but the fifty dollars were missing, so I seriously doubt it was Katie Couric.  She would not swipe my fifty bucks.

That’s the end of that story.  Other bloggers give advice on how you can find happiness. I give you a half-baked tale of an umbilical cord, an angry cabbie, and lost wallet.

I still wonder what happened to that bottle of wine.

I had hoped to find some good blogging material once I came to California, but no.  I’ve been in Los Angeles a couple of weeks now, and while there are moments of humor and pathos, things have been pretty uninspiring.   On Twitter, everyone who lives in Los Angeles is always having lunch with important people. My only celebrity encounter is that I almost rammed into the automobile of one of Clint Eastwood’s producers in the Warner Brothers lot.  But I doubt you have not interest in that incident.  There is nothing sexy about it.   Didn’t even see Clint Eastwood.

Since arriving in Los Angeles, I have continued to enjoy my new hobby of taking heavily filtered Istagram photos.   Unfortunately, the consensus is that my friends enjoy the photos I took in New York City far better than the ones I’m shooting in Los Angeles. There are a number of reasons for that, the most important being is that it is difficult to do street photography when you are stuck in your car 90% of the time!

One day, I became so desperate to find some “action” to shoot, that I took a walk in a residential area in the San Gabriel Valley, a neighborhood where I was staying with a friend.  Across the street from my friend, I encountered three adjacent mailboxes.  For some reason, maybe because I never owned a stand-alone mailbox myself, the mailboxes captured my attention.  I took a quick photo with my iPhone.

A half hour later, there was a knock on my friend’s door. It was the POLICE!  The owner of the house with the mailboxes saw me take the photo.  She was worried that I was casing the joint and called the cops.

I explained to the police officers that I was not a criminal, only a online photographer intrigued by the visual symmetry of the three mailboxes, and they seemed to buy my story.  Thank God I wear glasses and I’m not African-American.  I gave the officers some Christmas cookies, and they left. In NYC, I took photos of gang members on subway platforms without incident.  In the LA suburbs, I was almost arrested for taking a photo of mailboxes.

Another lame story.  I apologize.   You want to hear about successes, not failures.  That I’m a keynote speaker somewhere.  But sadly, no.  I have nothing to say.

It’s embarrassing to say, but I’m miserable. I returned to Los Angeles because it was time to finally move out of house I shared with Sophia, finalize the divorce, and get my own apartment (and also not live with my mother anymore!)

Should I live in Los Angeles or New York? I torture myself with that question, but I’m sure you have your own problems and don’t want to hear me kvetching.

When I first arrived in Los Angeles, I thought it was better to stay over at a friend’s house. So I did,  in the neighborhood where I was almost arrested during the infamous “mailbox incident.” I felt a little self-conscious staying in the house during the holidays, especially when he was working and his parents were visiting from Japan.

One day, I got bored writing my screenplay. I was also feeling lonely, like many others during the holiday season.  I called up Nicole.   Nicole is this woman from Brooklyn who I had a one-night fling over the summer.  It’s a long story, and you would be falling asleep if I told you the details.

It was nice to talk to Nicole over the phone. I told here that I was feeling isolated being in the suburbs where I was deemed a dangerous criminal for my iPhone activities.

“I like your iPhone photos,” she said, and then suggested that I make believe that she is riding me in the bed. I said, “OK.”

A little while later, as the tension built during this phone exchange —

“Uh, I think I have to…” I said.

“Go ahead.”

I looked around the room.

“Jeez. There are no tissues or napkins in this guest room.”

“Nothing? That’s not very hospitable for visitors.”

“I don’t think they expect visitors to be doing this.”

“Go the the bathroom and get tissues there.”

I peeked through a slit in the door and saw my friend’s parents watching a Japanese soap opera in the living room. There was no way to reach the bathroom without walking past them.

“I can’t leave the room,” I said.

“There must be something else.  Use your sock,” she suggested.

“I’m not going to come into my sock. I just bought these socks!”

“You must have something made of paper in that room.”

I looked on the bed and saw my unbound first draft of the screenplay.

Anyway, I’m not sure I should continue with this story. It’s that whole branding thing. I hate that about blogging nowadays. Everything you write suddenly become part of your “brand.” It’s like you can’t say “I hate gay people” or “fat people suck” anymore without someone unfollowing you.  I want to be judged on what I do, not what I say.

I am a good man. In fact, I am so good, that I when Sophia called me a few days, saying she tripped on her laptop cord and broke a toe, I immediately went back to Redondo Beach to help care for her, even though we are on the verge of finalizing our divorce.

Of course, things went quickly downhill when we drove to Trader Joe’s and I offered to wheel her around in her mother’s old wheelchair so she wouldn’t have to put pressure on her foot.

As I wheeled around, danger around every corner, we argued over which direction I should go and how fast I should be wheeling her, and it all seemed like a very very bad movie, and I started acting like an asshole, and by the time we reached the frozen food section of the store, we remembered why we were divorcing. It probably didn’t help that Nicole called while I was wheeling Sophia around, pissed at me for something I’m not going to tell you about, and promptly told me that she didn’t want to talk to me ever again.

That night Sophia and I both slept twelve hours.  She slept in the bedroom.  I slept on the couch.  The next day, we felt calmer, and we laughed a little about our adventure in Trader Joe’s.  But it was laughter tinged with pain.

Perhaps now you can understand why I have been avoiding writing on this blog.  I have nothing to say.

This entry was posted in Life in General and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to Nothing To Say

1. IlinaP says:

Oh, you do indeed have things to say. Keep taking those Instagrams and by all means, keep writing.

2. It’s the things we can’t say that are often the most interesting and human things about us. I feel for you. And I think you should live in NY.
    V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios posted the fortune teller

3. That was a whole lot of lovely, memorable, poignant, ordinary nothing, Neil. Plus, the won’t-come-in-your-new-socks story is the best. xx

4. Dana says:

It’s hard for me to know how earnest to be because maybe you use self-deprecation for humor or as your @brand” (though I don’t actually think that’s true). So at the risk of embarrassing myself, I absolutely love your stories and your voice and perspective and would miss you madly if you ever caved to your insecurities and stopped writing. Carry on sharing, please, and know that your words matter.

5. You obviously have a lot to say. Don’t stop blogging!
    Roxanna (miguelina) posted Be kind. To yourself. Everyday tip #9

6. What?! Nothing to say? You have plenty. Yours is one of the few blogs I still read. (Shhh – don’t tell the others.)
    sweatpantsmom posted And visions of doppio-espresso-macchiatos danced in their heads

7. Geoff Meeker says:

Love the sock thing, Neil. And the kvetching. When you become a famous writer, as you inevitably will, and regale us with tales of hobnobbing with Woody Allen, Danny DeVito and Ryan Gosling, we will all be rolling our eyes and wishing for the Neil of old.

8. Dory says:

I can dig it. And my vote, not that it’s worth much, is for LA. Cold sucks. LA has less cold than NY.

9. sweetney says:

*slow clap* Oh, indeed, indeed.
    sweetney posted Stuff I love: 1/9/12

10. sometimes a person wants advice or tips.
    sometimes a person wants a story. even a story about umbilical cords and lost bottles of wine.
    thepsychobabble posted Dose of Happy Monday

11. I just wrote a post, scheduled it to go up in the morning.

It is so similar to this.

Well, not really. I didn’t lose my wallet or travel or have any good dinners.

But my last line?

You matter.

And you do.
    moosh in indy. posted tiny giants doing gymnastics.

12. Julie Marsh says:

There are a lot of people whom I like a great deal, but there are very few whose writing I enjoy as much as yours.
    Julie Marsh posted May God have mercy on my Bronco-hating soul

13. I’m crazy busy this week – want to get together next week?
    I will un-bore you. Weird shit happens to me everywhere I go.
    I’m a weird-shit magnet.
    Also?
    I take lots of photos ….

P.S. Did you read about my pomegranate stalker? Things DO happen in the suburbs!
    Twenty Four At Heart posted Bee – U – Tiful!

14. I’m more suspicious when I have plenty to say. That’s when I’m the most insufferable.

You’re doing alright. Be random, be quiet, be chattery, be unsure. It’s all okay. xo
    sweetsalty kate posted The #1 way to erase 8 pounds and other freebies

15. I haven’t been by in a while. I’ve sort of fallen off the blogging train in a way. But I am so glad I did. I found this post remarkable, even if you didn’t.
    Genevieve Thompson posted Beautiful and Menacing

16. Sandi says:

You have lots to say, it’s just whether or not you want to say it here.

I’ve noticed the difference in your instagram pictures, I figured it was the difference in the walking culture of NY versus the driving culture in LA but the pictures are still definitely in your style.

Keep writing and taking pictures please :)

17. Anna Lefler says:

Well, mister, that’s the best blog post I’ve read in a long time. Your “nothing” is a hell of a lot better than most people’s “something.”

Happy new year. And way to protect the sock. I totally get that.

XO

Anna
    Anna Lefler posted Wake Up and Smell the Adhesive Brassiere

18. 180|360 says:

I can only imagine what sort of gems the Google search world post will bring your way after this post! :) You simply cannot leave us with that fucked up mixture of visuals.

PS. LA is an Instagram treasure trove. I assure you that there is plenty to shoot.
    180|360 posted Where hindsight leads to insight

19. Jane Gassner says:

God, I’ve missed you!

Hey–wanna come see my new apt in Hollywood? I just moved in…..

20. snozma says:

Listen stay off Twitter and you’ll be fine!

No, I don’t really want you to stay off Twitter. But it does make blogs seem unnecessary. That instant gratification!

So FUNNY about the umbilical cord.

21. afteriris says:

Who doesn’t love a story about wanking, Neil?
    afteriris posted And none of you will bid the winter come

22. Tamarika says:

I don’t want to sound pathetic or anything … but … you have *already* 23 comments on your blog post. When I write something I am lucky if I receive one even after days! LOL Neil – you are an excellent writer. I laughed and cried through this post of yours. Keep up the blogging! We need you!
    Tamarika posted Burn out …

23. barb says:

you had me at library card(s). plural. a man needs priorities.

i’m new to you & your writing/photos, but I find you enjoyable & interesting. just one girl’s opinion.

keep on keepin’ on.
    barb posted State of the Blogger Address

24. Pingback: moosh in indy. » to the new one, the lurker, the regular and the old timer

25. i like your words.
    nic @mybottlesup posted this is why i hate numbers

26. Bravo. Surely you don’t have much else to say. Unless you do. Then I’ll probably read it.
    Jana A (@jana0926) posted SOC Sunday: Stalling

27. Alexandra says:

This is the kind of blogging I like so much.

This is what I love.

I’m afraid to do it, you’re brave enough to do it.

I always feel the push and need to entertain.

Where you just flow, and it works, and you entertained.

It was a whole lot of what you may see as nothing, but it was something that made me read every word.
    Alexandra posted An Acknowledgement To The Level of Craftiness Employed On A Daily Basis In This House

28. Neil, you need to know that your “nothing” is so much more than most people’s something. Keep writing and we’ll keep reading.

Also – I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again and again until you believe it – your instagram photos are luminous, whether in NY or LA. You truly have “the eye” and it’s a rare gift.
    Varda (SquashedMom) posted Monday Listicles: 10 Things I Have Done to Make a Living

29. Gina says:

You probably shouldn’t write when you have nothing to say. In addition to all the typos and incoherent thoughts, you come across as a weird, lonely old guy with a bigger imagination than a 4 year old, with absolutely zero people skills. Silence for you IS golden.

30. Megan says:

Thirty comments later do you believe you have something to say? You’re a writer and you can make “nothing” into “something.” You always do. That’s why we keep coming back.
    Megan posted Grumpy

31. Caitlin says:

I have to say, I can’t stomach any of the “branded” big-time blogs you talk about because they are so impersonal. I prefer the little guy to the big one most of the time, but it’s so hard to find people who are willing to add their chatter to the sea of big fish bloggers. I’ve always admired your writing, and I do read everything you write, even if I never comment on it. I think you should move to Florida. :)
    Caitlin posted Back to work.

32. Angi says:

I love how raw your posts are…no matter when they come. I don’t often comment, but I will…because you need to know that people out here are reading what you have to say…whenever it suits you to say it.

33. Loved this post. All the stories are mundanely fabulous. The stuff of everyday but somehow better. Please keep writing.
    Katherine @ Postpartum Progress posted Couple Will Swim Across Lake Michigan to Benefit Postpartum Progress

Whoa. You all are so nice. I need to write about this more often.

35. Jenn says:

I want to install a magnet in your back that keeps you on the East Coast. Yeah, I know. They haven’t perfected the technology yet. Get back home, you. Love your honesty. Screw writing, let’s talk about THIS stuff later this week. xo

36. When I saw this, I thought you had to be kidding. I always have something to say and figure everyone else does too! What you think is boring or uninteresting is fascinating or enlightening to the rest of us. ;-) Even normal, every day things that happen can be entertaining, it’s all in how the story is told. Your photos are a joy, as is your quirky personality! ;-)
    Chrisor (ynotkissme) posted My Resolution Stands: No New Year’s Resolutions

37. rhea says:

I’d say you had plenty to say!

38. Vicki says:

This is much better than your instagrams. Twitter, Facebook, instagram, and other services are diluting exactly these types of blog posts, and that’s what makes me sad. You are brave to write what you did, even though I always imagine a ‘10% truth quotient bubble’ in my head as I read.
    Vicki posted Scotland the Brave: It’s about to get a little anti-Semitic up in Edinburgh. Also, rainy.

39. Pingback: 3 | Gen with a G

40. Stacey says:

I prefer to read about normal people living their “boring” lives.
    Stacey posted Frigid

41. Emma says:

If only Google Reader still had a ‘like’ and a proper share function other than Google + – this would be there for me.
    Emma posted By the flicker of the television light

42. Sophia says:

Neilochka, I love you, divorce or not. And I have always abstained from commenting and posting truth quotients about your stories involving me. But when you say that you dropped everything as soon as you heard that I broke my foot and drove to cater to me… truth quotient is screaming bloody murder. I broke my foot because I was running to open the door for you and then the next morning, when I needed to get to urgent care and told you that I couldn’t walk and had nothing in the house to eat – you said, “You’ll be OK.” and left for 4 days. So – truth quotient zero?

43. This is the very first post of yours that I have ever read, but I’ll be back for more so I hope you continue writing. It would be a shame to lose such a non-voice as yours. :)

44. sizzle says:

I just bought these socks!

That is so you, it’s cracking me up. ;-)
    sizzle posted Window Shopping For a House

45. TwoBusy says:

i wish i could have nothing to say the way you have nothing to say.

also: i fear for what… uh… became of your screenplay. DO NOT ELUCIDATE. ignorance, in this case, is preferable.
    TwoBusy posted Solstice

46. Lisa says:

I love this kind of post, Neil. Truth quotient or not (Sophia’s comment cracked me up) I find them more genuine and human than the manufactured branded blogs.

47. The “nothing” you had to say was more interesting than what most are posting on blogs today.

I doubt the lady who took the trouble to return your wallet was the person who took the $50. The $50 was probably taken by the person who took the wine but left the wallet behind as it would be evidence of theft if it was on the theft.

But you got your wallet and cards back. :)

Jill
    Jill Johnson@Unoccupied Property Insurance posted If your home is destroyed by war time events does homeowner insurance cover that?