This Week’s Favorite NYC Photos

High Line

This entry was posted in New York City and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to This Week’s Favorite NYC Photos

1. Fran says:

I love these! The photo of the girl with the extra arm is a little disturbing, but otherwise quite good. I can’t pick a favorite.

2. Juli says:

My favourite is the George Washington Bridge. It has personal meaning for me. And I have a thing for bridges.

3. alejna says:

I love these. I have to say, Neil, that I have been so impressed with your photos. You have such a good eye! You tell stories with your pictures. It seems like yesterday that you were writing about how you realized you didn’t have the same sort of respect for photography that you had for writing. Has being so immersed in taking photos changed your views? Do you feel like your images are authored by you much like your writing?

• Neil says:

No. I am faking it with the photos. I almost feels more like a sport than lonely art. But I like that. There is an energy to not knowing what the hell you are doing. It reminds me of when I first started blogging, and wasn’t sure yet of the “rules.” I fully expect, once I better understand photography — for it to be ruined. So, the answer is no. I’m at the point in writing where I know too much, so I am frequently frozen in fear. But with these photo so far, I just don’t think much. I’m not saying to myself, “Oh, I can’t take a photo of the Empire State Building because already 10 million other people have taken the same photo.” Some photos come out good, others not so good. If anything, I am going to try to bring some of this enthusiasm and lack of anxiety back to writing.

4. Noel says:

Glad you visited the High Line. As far as I’m concerned, one of the top five things to do in New York.

5. Irish Gumbo says:

Hey! The Flatiron Building! 23 Skiddoo!

Like these a lot, Neil.

6. slouchy says:

Damn, Neil. You’re talented.

Fantastic! Have you ever had strangers yell at you for taking their picture? I’m always too timid to snap photos of people I don’t know.

• Neil says:

Not yet. But not happy looks. But usually the streets are pretty chaotic, so it is pretty much point and shoot and run (or making believe I am sending a text message)

8. Megan says:

Wow, you are getting quite the eye. Nice work!

9. Jane Gassner says:

are these all instagrams? maybe you could tag them with which lenses you used?

10. Seriously dude, you are a GOOD photographer. You think it’s nothing, because it comes naturally to you, but you have THE EYE. And do you know what? Most people don’t. It really is a talent. And it’s OK to own it.

Keep shooting, please, I like seeing my city through your eyes. And think about a book that combines your pictures and stories. Seriously.

11. love the nyc photos. i can feel summer.

12. sarah says:

really liking these pics!!

13. sizzle says:

I love seeing your visual side. It’s just as prolific and talented as your wordy side!

14. Cheney says:

These are all so beautiful, I love your photos!