The Ballad of Seth Blackwell

seth2.jpg

The Ballad of Seth Blackwell

When I was younger,
So much younger than today,
I had long hair and oval specs,
“Like John Lennon,” they would say.

When I got much older,
And started having dates,
“Hey, look at you, said women,
“You look just like Bill Gates.”

Now I’m old and grizzled,
I’m only known as Seth,
When people choose to see me,
They see a man near death.

(written in IHOP after this)

Poetry Thursday

This entry was posted in Literary and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Ballad of Seth Blackwell

1. mariemm3 says:

Love this!! Perfect after the IHOP encounter.

2. Well done, Neil. Very clever.

3. modigli says:

why did I read/sing this to the tune of “Country Roads Take Me Home” by John Denver? Did you mean to do that?

4. DebR says:

Very cool poem!

PS…I’ve never seen Gilmore Girls, so I had to look up “Kirk.” He’s not bad looking, even if he is the town weirdo!

5. wendy says:

very pointed, about what women see…first sexy, then money, then another responsibility, leading to being left alone. Great..all this and entertaining too!!

wendy

6. Brooke says:

First you steal my readers. Then you steal my songwriting ideas. GEEZ!!!

Wait, first you stole my David Sedaris references! Will the thievery never end!!

7. kristen says:

I’ve never seen Gilmore Girls although I’m frequently told I should be watching.
    Clever poem!

8. Tammy says:

Very cute! I watch Gilmore Girls and he is a lovable town wierdo. LOL

9. lizardek says:

I so look forward to your PT choices :)

10. lol. Cute. Great photo to go with the verse too.

I think you have a few years left to kick.

Thanks for reading it. But now that I’m looking at it with fresh eyes, I see it doesn’t quite work. 2nd Draft Time!

(I guess this poetry thing takes more work than blogging)

12. Fitèna says:

It’s really nice Neil. Really. Maybe the Bill Gates does not sound very poetic but its nice!
    Who is Seth?

Fitèna

13. Di says:

Ohh, Seth isn’t a man who seems near death (does this I’m old?)

He looks naughty and interesting, and it seems to me that one might have to say on one’s toes during conversations with Seth … and this is my contribution to making Seth’s day.

14. V-Grrrl says:

Getting dates and looking like Bill Gates? Yeah, it’s gotta be the money. Thanks, Wendy, for opening my eyes to the “why” of that one.

15. V-Grrrl says:

I’m with Di. I knew I was old when Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt were in a movie together, and my first thought was, OMG, HARRISON FORD. hot. hot. hot.

16. Pingback: Citizen of the Month » Yes, I am Jim